W H Bowker, one of the oldest UK companies specialising in national and international logistics and now trading as Bowker Transport, has unveiled a new centenary livery on two new Volvo FH tractor units to provide the perfect start to a year of celebratory activities.
Supplied by Neil Crook, Customer Solutions Manager at Thomas Hardie Commercials Ltd, the two new FH-500 6×2 pusher axle tractor units are powered by Volvo’s D13K engine rated at 500hp. The 3,900mm wheelbase chassis come with front steel and rear air suspension, in addition to high specification Globetrotter Cabs, I-Shift automated 12-speed gearboxes and RSS1356 drive axles with a ratio of 2.50:1.
Established in 1919, Bowker’s are celebrating their centenary with Cobalt blue-painted FH Globetrotter cabs to replicate the vintage blue, red and gold colour scheme used by the company in previous years and each sport unique cherished registration plates.
The new FH duo are also equipped with Volvo’s unique Dynamic Steering and I-See Predictive Cruise Control systems. Inside the drivers benefit from Drive Plus and Single Bed living packages, plus Volvo’s optional 33-litre under-bunk refrigerators, whilst full leather trims adorn the vehicles’ seats and steering wheels. Alcoa Dura-Bright EVO alloy wheels are also fitted to both trucks.
The centenary trucks’ launch on January 8th heralded a year of activities for the Preston-based haulage business that will involve staff, customers and suppliers alike.
Bill Bowker, Director at Bowker Group Ltd said, “We are extremely proud of our history. We are pleased to introduce a new centenary livery to celebrate a significant milestone for our company. Undoubtedly, this is a momentous achievement and makes Bowker one of the oldest road transport companies still operating in the UK today. The new livery is a fitting tribute to our past and indeed the future, which marks the launch of celebrations. We will commemorate our centenary year with a number of special events throughout 2019 that will involve our staff, our customers and our suppliers. We want to thank everyone who has played their part in the Bowker success story and want to make it a year to remember.”
Mike Corcoran, Commercial Director at Volvo Trucks UK & Ireland said, “Congratulations to Bowker Transport on reaching this historic milestone from everyone at Volvo. It is rare for any business to achieve this level of excellence for so long. That’s why we’re delighted to supply the centenary trucks and be part of the celebrations. Here’s to the next 100 years!”
– ENDS –
Notes for Editors :
1. W.H. Bowker Transport was established in 1919, when William Bowker used his £75 war gratuity to buy the first vehicle. He began making local deliveries in Blackburn, Lancashire earning a reputation for a pioneering spirit and an innovative approach to industry’s needs. It wasn’t long before he’d assembled one of the largest fleets in the country.
2. In 1969 W.H. Bowker moved from Blackburn to a new head office and operations centre opens in Bamber Bridge, Preston.
3. Since then, the famous Bowker livery has gone on to become one of the most recognisable on British roads.
4. In November 2016, Bowker completed the purchase of Potter Logistics’ warehousing and distribution operations at Ripon, York, Selby, Knowsley and Droitwich.
5. Today Bowker Transport operates in excess of 160 vehicles and 300 trailers, providing over one million square feet of warehousing at their seven sites across the UK.
6. The Company is also extremely proud to have been recently voted one of the ‘Top 20 Great British Transport Companies of all Time’ – a testament to their heritage, their present and their future.
7. Bowker Transport is today an integral part of the Bowker Group of companies, which includes BMW, MINI, Maserati, BMW Motorrad, Porche and Harley-Davidson dealerships in the Preston and Blackburn area.